Call for community translations

Hey guys, i could help out today with the dutch translations. Where are we at and how can i help?

You can find the Dutch file in the repo here:

Please have a look through the README for instructions on how to contribute.

If you inspect the file, you’ll see where the other translators have got up to. At some point towards the bottom it will switch back into English. You can just pick up there and do 50-100 lines or so.

I think they are up to about 3658.

Thanks Chris,

Will take a look at it after i’m finished with my groceries :smile:

1 Like

Would it be possible to receive general translating guidelines as well? Some languages have unique translations that cannot entirely cover the English version. For example: for ‘you’ some languages have polite, formal and more informal versions. I would assume Nash would prefer the polite version, but I am asking in case it prefers to accommodate to select younger audiences. Is it preferred to keep translations as short to the point as possible or are longer, but more lucid text preferred? Since Nash seems to be going from the word ‘personal account’ to ‘wallet’ I assume that the policy for such words is to go to the generally accepted industry standard, correct?

Hi. Thanks for all your efforts in finishing up the Dutch translation, btw!

Unfortunately, we don’t have native speakers of every language at Nash. And the rules for what is “right” often have to be decided by native speakers based on what they are familiar with. So these things in fact differ between languages.

Example: The German translation uses informal “du” imperatives because the longer “Sie” forms come across as too formal. The French translation uses “vous” because “tu” is just too informal in the language. There’s no single rule that will cover all languages.

My advice is to do whatever makes the platform seem as “natural” as possible in your language. What do other “modern” fintech apps use (so, in that sense, things that do “accommodate younger audiences”)? That’s the model you should try to follow.

It’s ultimately up to the different communities to decide if they think polite “you” or informal “you” is more appropriate. Likewise which terms are best left in English and which get translated (again, follow the conventions used to discuss blockchain in your language). Has the Dutch community already decided on a standard? You should check in the Telegram group, or inspect the translation and see what they’re already doing.

Please take the opportunity to make Nash the kind of app you want to use!

5 Likes