What's preventing competing exchanges from spamming your network with trade bots to make it look bad?

Just thinking out loud, It would be amazing as a staker but is there prevention in place for this form of ddos? If they exceed your tps on purpose it could do some damage to your rep. One example I can think of is once you hit your max tps start to throttle bots until its under the max tps again, and then throttle again accordingly if it speeds up or slows down, kinda like btc mining lol.

Edit: I think real people (i.e. non bots) should always be able to do trades with priority and then the api calls can come rolling in if there’s room for it. Just thinking worst case situations.

1 Like

they pay fees on all those transactions. Their should be a minimum order size to prevent tiny orders. If the fees are significant enough let them attack like this, more nex-revenue.
Also people who spam the orderbook with orders and cancellations without making trades should be blocked. This is done on bitmex for example. I don’t know what is going to be implemented. But these are some ways that come to mind to combat this kind of attack.

2 Likes

@laurensmvk is correct. This isn’t like a DDOS attack intended to overload the network if they tried to spam with small orders the amount it would take to slow down the engine would add up and they wouldn’t really gain much. Don’t forget each account will have to pass KYC past tier 1 to trade based on each accounts volume.

I’d imagine the team has protocols in place to keep this from happening but this isn’t really an issue imo because this could happen on any exchange albeit unlikely due to common procedure.

That is my broad understanding, I am not a developer so I won’t pretend to understand the complexities of how the matching engine works in detail but i’m sure the team has accounted for every possible scenario.

2 Likes
1 Like

The kyc point you raised is strong. And yes there’s some sleep delay between bot orders from the same bot to prevent the bitmex adding orders/removing order flashing.