Regulating/banning stablecoins

First of all I find it fascinating to see that something that has been around for only a few years is already becoming a threat to the big banks. However we all know that eventually some sort of action will be taken to control the wild growth of all these stablecoins.

I like to believe that USDC will be fine as Coinbase, like Nash, is heavily into regulation. But I have not idea how this will turn out. A lot of volume comes from stablecoins, so markets might dry up when they start to regulate and/or ban these stablecoins.

What is your take on this subject?

Might help, interesting to see if Nash can legally integrate @fabwa?

I like to believe that USDC will be fine as Coinbase, like Nash, is heavily into regulation. But I have not idea how this will turn out. A lot of volume comes from stablecoins, so markets might dry up when they start to regulate and/or ban these stablecoins.

As you said, USDC is regulated, so it’s fine. I don’t see any danger to come for regulated stablecoins. Even if they do ultimately get replaced, they will be replaced by state-backed national cryptocurrencies, which serve exactly the same purpose. So there is really no danger of volume drying up. If non-regulated stablecoins disappear, volume will go to regulated stablecoins. If regulated stablecoins are replaced, volume will go to national cryptocurrencies.

2 Likes