Libra is a security

Debate : prove me wrong

edit: lol white paper is :joy:

What’s the expectation of profit for owning a Libra coin?

2 Likes

none

edit : that reply was pretty lazy … here ill add to it

“I think statements like ‘if it doesn’ produce a return, it’s not a security’ — I think that’s a bit of an oversimplification. […] A lot of lawyers will spend a lot of time figuring out just where that line is.”
from our friend Jay

The plan was to have a security token and one stable coin tied to a basket of assets. The stable coin was designed as a redeemable currency, as opposed to the fluctuating, speculative ‘utility’ coins that we see in the market today.

Are you suggesting that their stable coin is a security as well as their planned security token? There is no expectation of profit on the stable coin and will most likely not have an ico style sale, so I definitely disagree.

The planned security token, on the other hand. … well, that’s a security

1 Like

a token that represents a basket of currencies / index is a financial instrument insulating the holder form the movement in those currencies … ans the associated risks / rewards

edit: if they has libr usd, libra eur /… libra etc
than that wouldnt be the case

yes im saying the stable coin is a security

Libra is a stable-coin, so as Mailbox said, there’s no expectation of profit.

If we compare to NEO’s blockchain, which is similar in design, both are permissioned and centralized, however it does seem Libra will have more nodes and better distribution. So if NEO isn’t a security you can draw the same conclusion for Libra.

And as @peter mentioned, they have plans for a separate coin which will be a security.

1 Like

read above … think we typed at same time

asloe see above quote fro Jay Clayton or ill just post it again for you… the guys kinda an authority … lol

“I think statements like ‘if it doesn’ produce a return, it’s not a security’ — I think that’s a bit of an oversimplification. […] A lot of lawyers will spend a lot of time figuring out just where that line is.”

The indexes you refer to, pertain to securities. You make a good point, but will people be exposing themselves to Libra for profit/gain as they do with the stock market indexes? Me living in Australia and holding both GBP and USD to hedge/protect myself doesn’t make me an individual in possession of securities.

do u owna financial instrument that represents a holding in usd/gbp ?

if so where did u buy it ?

1 Like

yeah think ur missing the point i made … they are not baskets … they are tokens representin 1;1 with usd
1;1 cny

not a basket

u make a basket… its a financial product … and yeh i reckon they nail it as a security … becuae it puts it in max regulation category…thy cant stop it…but they can hit it with max regs

other issues is its a private bchain…but thats another story

2 Likes

Good point, we’ll see…

1 Like

thanks … good to have s decent discussion in here …

who bloody knows what they do :slight_smile: but its good to chat about it … srs lacking a good chat … twiiter is just terrible and omg telegram … wow

1 Like

I opened up a blockchain based voting group …dare i say DAO… if u guys want to join and have a play ill flick u a token that allows u to explore the possibilities… its open to anyone that wants to join from community … no $ incentives… tokens are non transferable. there is a pooling function but thats not what the idea is atm… unless members vote for it

everyone whos a staker can join and have a look

1 Like

u too Peter if u wanna check it out mate

1 Like

If it does wind up a security … hope we are ready for that potential outcome and to service demand…srs need that ATS. fist half of 2020 would be ideal