Corona Discussion Here

Let’s discuss corona in this topic, to keep this drama and crisis away from other things, as i find it both interesting and sickening to hear about every day.

What i find an interesting discussion is the human lifes that are saved versus the economy that can’t be allowed to be destroyed. I wonder how people here look at this.

I totally understand saving lifes is important, but i am doubting if saving some elder lives will be worth the consequences. Perhaps this sounds really bad, but i fear if the economy stands still for too long, there will be so many jobless that governments can no longer support them, people get hungry, rebel, get into crime, suicide rates go up, and the way we live our spoiled lives(compared to very poor country’s) might be gone for quite some time. So in the end, a really bad economy will cost a lot of lives as well.

EDIT: Need to mention that healthcare is also down a lot in bad economy’s, directly effecting lives as well.

EDIT2: So to make it clear i do not propose leaving people to die, but i am proposing to do whatever we can to save lives, just not at cost of the economy too much. A kind of balance. And i hope (and expect) government’s will do this as soon as the curve is flattened a bit. (so intensive care beds are available enough)

I think that governments will in a month or so (in europe) re-open things, but probably slowly and limits applied for the whole year 2020. For example zoo’s and theme parks must hire security that checks if people keep distance, cinema’s can only fill 1/3 of the seats in the rooms…those kind of rules. I think that because again the economy can’t stand still for too long, the vaccin is too far away and the virus cannot be stopped before we have a vaccin. Only slowed.

Discussing a complex global crisis in a forum for clearly the privileged with ‘opinion’ posts of ~ 20 sentences… Personally, no, thanks

3 Likes

You would not be writing this if you or a loved one were in this position.

1 Like