Cascading failures - A disk ? [learning opportunity]

Can Nash learn something from this ? It almost sounds amateuristic that a disk failure can take down entire exchange. On the other side it could be a pretty critical part of the system.
[Edit: downtime was 2 hours and 15 minutes]

Could Nash recover without downtime or loss of data if a disk would explode out off the blue ?
Any operation persons in here that can elaborate/speculate on this case ?

Think its a relevant story as Nash aims to be the most trusted and secure system out there. So what if a disk explodes ?

1 Like

On a sidenote: this type of communication is appreciated.
My homebanking application is unavailable 1 out of 50 times I want to access it. And the only message I get to see then is ‘down for maintenance try again later’

2 Likes

Communication is key… this is one sure thing we, everyone all wants.

1 Like

My homebanking application is unavailable 1 out of 50 times I want to access it.

My mobile banking app is unavailable 1 out of 10 times. I can’t understand that, it’s a big bank. They have the same issues for years now. Also they keep struggling with their home banking applications for Mac at least. They can’t get their sh*t together. Bad for them, good for crypto.

Well, this disk story looks like a bed time story, delivered to calm investors down. Usually, companies who have to store critical data use some automatic data replication systems, to ensure redundancy. To put things simple, it’s like copying the same data to 2 (or more!) different disks to make sure that if 1 disk fails, the data are not lost and are readily available from the other disks. In this kind of setup, the end customer wouldn’t even notice that a disk went down.
Definitely Binance went through some kind of crisis that they don’t wish to elaborate on, even though the funds haven’t been impacted

1 Like

Hmm my sixth sense tells me that this is some sort of cover up. I do hope binance isnt hacked again… if they were hacked today, this is real bad news… meaning their security is really weak these days and everyone should get their assets off binance soon. Not saying they are the mtgox2… but its a CEX afterall.

1 Like

…and their so called DEX is not one (from the horse’s mouth himself) :man_shrugging:t5:

Nash isn’t a DEX neither. Think Nash has shared similar wordings before.
Only difference is that Nash is not even running on a blockchain. (because thats in essence unnecessary )

“Nash is a fintech company that uses blockchain technology as the infrastructure.”
To prevent definition collusion, I would even say. …that uses distributed ledger technology as an infrastructure. (actually so far nobody (in public) knows how Nash nodes work)

1 Like

If what you say is true, then they shall immediately correct this page :
https://nash.io/company/about
It explicitely mentions “Our main product is a decentralized digital asset exchange (DEX) that competes with the speed and functionality of centralized services.” :man_shrugging:t5:

1 Like

About your question, I guess, nash is kinda immune against an “exploding” hard disk.

Why?

Almost everything happens on the different used blockchains. To take down the smart contracts and data operating on a blockchain, you have to take down the whole blockchain. Since they are decentralized this is a pretty tough job.

What happens off chain is the matching engine. Even though, the matching engine is going to be decentralized as well. At the beginning there will be five, each belong to one of the founders from nash. When they are not running all at the same place, then it is also pretty hard to take down all five at the same time. Especially with an hard disc error.

What may can crash is the homepage and the interface, we are using. But therefore, I don’t really have a clue how the “mechanics” of an homepage are working. If the homepage is running in redundancy manner, the probability of going down through a hard disc error should also be very low.